News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: small white spots near top of penis

Matty - Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:01 am

I'm 22, male, not had any issues before, no surgeries, and have NF.

I've never had sex so the chances of this being an STI is like very very low.

There are only about 6 small white\pale (more noticeable when I have an erection) and are on the edge of the frenulum more than they are on the penis.

Any ideas on what they are?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:01 pm

User avatar Hi Matty,

These may be a few things. If they are itching it may be a fungal skin infection. They may also be pearly penile papules which are harmless and common. They may also be due to some local irritation of the skin.

If they begin to bother you and aren't going away I would recommend you have your doctor evaluate them.

Best wishes.
 Matty - Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks for the reply, no they are not itching and aren't painful in anyway, but I thought pearly penile papules occurred at the base of the head and not higher up on the frenulum?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:50 pm

User avatar Hi again,

You are correct that pearly penile papules generally occur at the base of the head of the penis (termed the corona). Near the frenulum the corona moves upward so the spots may still occur in this area. They do not generally appear higher than the corona, though. If your spots are higher than this, they probably aren't due to pearly penile papules.

They may also be some areas where the pores of the skin have become blocked. If the bumps have a central dimple they may be due to a virus called molluscum contagiosum. This virus is often thought of as an STD; however, it is spread by skin contact so it can be transmitted by hand contact unrelated to sex.

Best wishes.
 Matty - Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:52 pm

Hi once more, well I'm sure its not "molluscum contagiosum" as they don't have dimples not do they secret any liquid. But if it is due to blocked pores are there any home ways of doing it?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here