Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: zit/bump on genitals, Could this be HPV/HSV?

JacobE - Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:22 am

Hello, I would be very grateful if you could read this and tell me in your opinion what the symptoms point to, My doctor didn't know. I'm getting tested tomorrow & don't think its HSV, it doesn't look like any pictures I've found of HSV/HPV. Here goes, (PS: the images are cropped,not very graphic)

6 days ago I noticed what looked like a mosquito bite with a whitehead in the center, or large zit. I popped it like a zit and white puss came out. I wasn't too alarmed--I've had smaller zits in my pubic region. However this one was on the lower side of my penis, and a bit larger then the tiny zits I've had before. It bled a tiny bit more then I expected it too when popped, and healed a bit different--I monitored it healing closely and I'm almost sure it didn't scab. At this point it looks entirely healed but left a (?shinier), slightly raised light pink bump of skin where it was originally, it doesn't look like a scar to me. I have no other symptoms, and I don't remember it itching or hurting.
Here is a picture of the bump it left behind:
http://hidebehind.com/img/53/53077F.jpg

From what I've read herpes scab over, is it possible to have an HSV-2 spot that looks & pops like a zit, has white puss, doesn't scab, and completely closes up 5 days later leaving a small bump of skin? (this bump is what worries me)

its possible that there is one more smaller zit/bump i popped in the same area, but its too small to tell.

The things that look like small zits in the past didn't worry me, but thinking back when i popped these the whitehead seemed to be more solid/squishy and tiny (unlike the one i have now), these other spots on my pubic region rarely leave behind a light pink dot that looks like this pic but ARENT raised:
http://hidebehind.com/img/1B/1BB012.jpg

In fear of having HSV-2, Could you tell me if either of these is likely to be HSV-2 or HPV, or what else this could be based on the description and images?

My details are as follows, 22 year old man, no previous diagnoses, (clean std screening 6 months ago), I practive safer sex, no past surgeries or family history of problems (outside of lupus), and no meds.

Thanks & God Bless,

Jacob E.

(I forgot to add that this seems to of developed completely over night while i was asleep, within the span of 9 hours)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:14 pm

User avatar Hello JacobE,

It is hard to say for sure but I don't think these spots are HPV. They almost certainly aren't HSV. Actually, I don't think they are an STD at all; however, I would recommend you be tested to be sure since many STD's can be asymptomatic (particularly in men).

These spots may be an irritated hair follicle or possible a Fordyce spot. If these do not improve I would recommend you see your doctor again for a follow up.

|