Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Need some advice on my symptomes

needguidance - Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:52 pm

Hi there

I am a 31 year old male who had recently split from his wife and had a brief enounter with a woman (sexual health unknown).

We slept togther (vaginal only) and for the first 15 mins or so we did not use protection, I then deciced being a bit more responsible to put a condom on which remained intact.

After about 6 days I started when on holiday in another country to feel ill, flu like symptomes aches etc and this went in about 4-6 days and then I was fine and my family who I still live with became ill as well at the sames time with similar type effects.

All the same I got an STI check and negative for everything but I did not have the HIV test as it was too early and I knew I was clear 100% up until this 1 enounter.

About 5 weeks later I had the flu jab. Then 3 weeks after this (8 weeks since exposurer) I got a common cold type effect, cough and running nose etc. This has mostly passed apart from a sore throat which has a few white spots on it (not burst though). I am 9 weeks past exposurer and have today had the HIV test.

I feel fine and well apart from a sore throat. Does this sound a cause for concrern? It just hurts a little when I swallow and I have a build up of mucuas on chest.

Thanks for your help and look forward to peoples comments?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:00 pm

User avatar Hi Needguidance,

Initial symptoms of HIV infection can be a flu-like illness. However, since your family was also ill it is more likely that these initial symptoms were caused by another virus that is contagious through other, easier forms of contact.

However, sometimes the symptoms of initial infection are minor and not recognized. Being tested is advisable to be sure. With most HIV tests, the test does not detect the virus. Instead, they test for antibodies to the virus. These tests become positive starting as early as six weeks but it may take up to three months to be positive.

needguidance - Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:51 am

Thanks for that in speaking to the specialist at the GUM clinic he said the flu like symptomes you get are a case of the worst flu you will have ever had so he was pretty sure that it was not HIV related flu.

None the less I have had the test so waiting on the results so fingers crossed.
 needguidance - Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:26 am

Got my test results today and all clear - what a weight of my mind!

Great work on the site by the way.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:55 am

User avatar Thanks for the update. I'm glad you find our site helpful.

|