Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Redness whenever I get sick

approach27r - Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:53 am

background> 25yo, male, married. Wife had a few partners before I came along, I did not. She has been tested for various things and all negative. we are both healthy, I have no real skin problems other than acne.

Let me try and describe this as best I can without a picture. I get 2 somewhat circular red marks on my penis whenever I get a cold or flu. It usually appears a day or two after my sickest day, as I begin to recover. The circles (maybe ovals, whatever) are roughly the size of a half-dollar, one on each side, located partly on the head, and partly the shaft below, centered on the "rim" (whatever that's called). If you were to divide the circumference of the penis into thirds, the red circles would be located in the upper left and right thirds, nothing on the bottom. also- they always appear in the same spot.

Ok, hope that was descriptive enough. Anyway, if you look really close, you can tell the skin is *slightly* raised, and warm to the touch, and the skin looks a little irritated, with what looks almost like cracking skin (but it does not crack, just not as smooth as usual). But at first inspection, it just looks red. It does not hurt or itch, but it does feel just a bit sensitive. I made the mistake a few years ago of not noticing it and *ahem* masturbating and a few days later the skin oozed and scabbed and looked awful. I never made that mistake again and so now it just fades away in about a week.

I have researched all the common STD's and nothing is consistent with what I have. My wife will sometimes (but rarely) get a spot of redness the size of a pea on her genitalia, and she says it's a little sore for a few days, but to me it doesn't look like anything, it's almost completely unnoticeable, and she's had a doctor look at it and test it and everything seems fine.

I just would like some suggestions on possible things this might be that I can further research, and if there's a possibility that there's nothing to worry about. I wondered if it was a skin condition, but the correlation with cold/flu and the consistent location and distinct pattern does not seem to be simply a skin problem

thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:46 pm

User avatar Hi Approach27r,

What you are describing does not sound like an STD. It really does not sound like an infection of any sort. I suspect that what you may be seeing is areas where the blood vessels are close to the skin. The infection may be triggering some dilation of the vessels making the red areas noticeable.

Given your description I do not believe this is anything that is serious or dangerous. Most likely it is some form of a normal body reaction to healing. If you are able, by chance, to have the areas evaluated when the redness is present it will allow you to get a better idea of what is causing this.

|