Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Rabies

kateclan10 - Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:33 am

I live in a wooded area and have had several encounters with wild animals. Several years ago, I was bitten by a raccoon. I had a series of five rabies shots. A couple of years ago I found a bat inside my house, captured it and had it tested for rabies. It was not rabid. That same year, a bat flew into my neck outside my back door. It flew away. I had 2 booster shots. On September 27 of this year, I found a bat in my bedroom when I woke up. It flew away and I couldn't locate it anywhere in the house. I had two more booster shots. I found loose siding where bats might possibly enter and had it sealed. On December 15 of this year I woke up to another bat hanging from a cloth wall decoration right over my head. The bat flew out of the bedroom and I haven't been able to find him I now believe they must be in the walls of the house. Is there some test that would measure the amount of rabies protection I still have in my system now to see if it is adequate? Or should I take more booster shots?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:21 am

I can understand your concern and it is always wise to be cautious where bats are concerned. Most bats do not have rabies but it is still the most common cause of rabies infection in humans - obviously a rare disease.

If you noticed any kind of unexplained bite marks, then you should see a doctor about the possibility of being exposed to a rabid bat. But, bite marks are not always apparent due to the tiny teeth of bats. I believe you are saying you have had the initial rabies vaccination due to your frequent exposures so you should be able to have a titer to determine if the levels of vaccination are still adequate.

You should contact animal control or wildlife specialists for help bat-proofing y our home.

|