Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Could I have Hepatitis C now?? HELP :(

Sweetheart5015 - Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:17 am

Hello there....I had a quick question. Lastnight I went to a get together involving several people from my work and we all smoked from the same cigar and a few of us drank after eachother. I am very concerned because after drinking/smoking after a friend, he divulged to us that he has Hepatitis C (he is a 21 y/o gay male) and I had drank/smoked after him. I wouldnt be very concerned except for the fact that a few hours before the party, I had busted my lip and it had bled a lot. Therefore, I had an open cut on my mouth when I drank/smoked after him. I have a husband and a 2 y/o son and am not very concerned that I could possibly have contracted Hep C? Any thoughts on this?? I am extremely stressed now.... [color=#400080][color=#404000][color=#804040][color=#400080][color=#400080][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:02 am

User avatar Hepatitis C is transmitted through deep body fluids; it is not believed to be transmitted through saliva. So, even though you had a cut lip, your friend was just exposing you to saliva. I would say it is unlikely you would get it from this encounter.

Hopefully this will be a wakeup call though for risky behaviors. Think about your two year old whenever you are tempted.

Sweetheart5015 - Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:24 am

Thank you very much for your response..
Yes, it was very unwise of me to smoke a cigar/drink after someone, although I know a lot of people do that. But I had no clue that this person had Hepatitis C until later in the night when he decided to announce it all of the sudden. I was very upset by this and am still very scared that I could have contracted something??

Do you think I should still go the route of getting tested??
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:17 pm

User avatar It can take a while for infection to show up but since this is not considered a route to infection I probably would not do it, unless you have other risky behaviors that might make you worried. Keep in mind, this is a route for Hepatitis A which can make you very ill but is not lifelong infection (although you are at greater risk for liver complications or even liver cancer because of the trauma to the liver).

Regardless of what others do, you put yourself at risk in sharing personal things with those you know little about. You can't expect your acquaintances to tell you their medical history before your social encounters. We just don't drill people like that or feel the need to disclose our past history. Assume infectious unless proven otherwise.

|