News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Prevention of sexually transmitted diseases?

jon2009 - Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:07 am

I'm a young, recently single heterosexual male. My last sexual partner was clean, meaning she had no STD's, and I plan to remain sexually active. I will practice safe sex measures, but I am still fearful that I may be able to still contract certain STD's such as genital warts or herpes while using a condom. I am not fully informed on those two disease, but I know that they can be transferred by skin to skin contact. Is there a way for me not to contract those diseases while using safe sex measures (using a latex condom)?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:34 am

User avatar Hello,
The best you can do is reduce your chances of contracting any sexually transmitted disease. Faithful use of latex condoms is the most sure preventive measure available next to abstinence, but it is not 100% effective and condoms can break.

The good news is that in the rare instance you do get a sexually transmitted infection, many of them are curable. Some, such as HIV are merely treatable, others such as herpes are controllable. Choosing to have mutiple sexual partners, especially in casual sex, is a risk factor that cannot be 100% preventable.

There is hope for HPV though if the woman gets this vaccine - this is true prevention so encourage all your girlfriends to get this vaccine that protects against the most common human papllovirus that can cause genital warts.

Good luck.
 jon2009 - Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:07 am

Going back to the question about the herpes and genital warts, I have a follow up. If I'm right, one can have protected sex with a person who has herpes and not get it as long as she does not have an outbreak and the condom remains intact. Is that the same case for genital warts, meaning, is it safe to have protected sex with someone who has genital warts as long as she doesn't have an outbreak and provided that the condom remains intact?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:19 pm

User avatar The condom will offer the best protection possible and it would protect against genital warts just as it would against other infections - in other words, a good condom (not old, deteriorating) that remains intact. If caution is used, this should protect you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here