News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Infection during blood donation?

Geronemo - Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:37 pm

Hi,
About 2.5yrs. back someone i know told me that one of their relatives needed blood so i went with them to this blood bank in this hospital.
The technician took my blood for blood group and matching and they used a new syringe, as soon as they penentrated my artery in my left cubital fossa i helf a chilling sensation in that area few like 5-10 seconds. i gave 1 pint blood.
later that evening say about 5-6hrs later i started having headache, swollen, tender submandibular lymph nodes, sore throat and low-grade fever.
ive always had problems with my tonsils meaning they are prone to infection (since i was a kid) so i knew what the symptoms were. The headache, sore-throat, painful lymph nodes went away in a few days, just like they would in tonsillitis, and ive been living normally since then.

Now its been more than 2.5yrs and iam very healthy, athletic, play soccer regularly, HAVE NO SYMPTOMS AT ALL. iam more fit that most ppl. my age around me.
i do have bleeding gums when i brush my teeth sometime but that ive had since i was a child since aslong as i remember, iam 27 right now.

My question is that:
1) the sign and symptoms ive described were they due to something like strep. aureus infection that could have penentrated my skin during that process, or something else or more dangerous.
2) could i have a chronic disease something like HIV??
although i come from a country which has very low HIV rates, also iam not into IV drugs, or unprotected intercourse. We can rule those 2 out.

i don't have any medical problems, but its just curiosity thats driving me to ask my question. pls. do let me know what u think.

Awaiting ur answer,
Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:57 am

User avatar Hello,

Its highly unlikely that this occurred as your symptoms seem to have been localized more to the area of the head and neck. If a doctor examined you and diagnosed tonsillitis then you do not need to look any further. Tonsillitis would not occur 5 hours after a blood stream infection. Bacteremia in a healthy patient is also very unlikely. HIV and other infections would only be contracted if the needle was used with someone else - very unlikely. When people mention transfusion related infection they are mainly referring to infection in the transfusion that is received by the patient. Since you are on the donor side and not on the receiving side, transfusion related infections are not a concern.

Good luck and stay healthy!
 Geronemo - Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:28 am

Thankyou somuch for answering my question.
I've donated blood on a number of occations but only this 1 time i had that chilling sensation when the teching inserted the needle. Can you please tell me why that would happen.

Thankyou again for answering.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:44 am

User avatar I really can't tell why. Apprehension or anxiety are possible causes. To be able to answer a subtle question like that I would need to assess your condition with physical examination 2.5 year ago!

I think you shouldn't worry about it as long as you do not currently complain of any symptoms.

Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here