News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Sinusitis worsening to pneumonia-like symptoms

abe froman - Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:50 pm

Hello and thanks in advance. I had a catscan for what I thought was an inner ear problem which wasnt and was a deep infection and was labeled as Sinusitis. Give SULFAMETHOXAZOLE/TMP also says Septra and Bactrim. As catscan and diagnosis was being given I took a major turn for the worse. Symtoms were:
severe mind problems. felt poisoned or brain was infected. also seeing streaks and colors exploding too bright and shapes. stared at carpet for prolonged periods. unable to focus. basically delirious. also
chills and intense fatigue. I saw a pneumonia symptoms list and I had pretty much most things on it but I don't have any lung problems whatsoever although i havent gotten a chest xray. but no weezing or nothing. good air flow. the delirium has gone away but still have a foggy head all the time and a constant headache. conditions havent changed in 7 days. been on SEPTRA for 14 days. The Sinusitis has probably been around of and on since july. major weight loss(40lbs in 120 days) and stress and cold weather during exercise pushed me to be weak in the immune area. 3 days ago went out for walk in swetsuit and the sweat from my hair was ice cold. something you would want to drink on a hot summer day.

Should I be on something different than SULFAMETHOXAZOLE/TMP? amoxacllin maybe?

Can I have pneumonia without lung issues?

thanks again
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:03 pm

User avatar Hi Abe,

Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX) is a reasonable choice for sinusitis. The major bacteria implicated in causing sinusitis include Strep. pneumococcus (by far most common), H. influenza and M. catarrhalis.

Many people will more commonly choose amoxicillin (high dose) or augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulonic acid) to treat sinusitis but TMP/SMX actually has pretty good coverage for these bugs with the possible exception of H. influenza. A typical course of treatment is 14 days for acute sinusitis and 21 days for chronic sinusitis.

The same bugs are responsible for causing pneumonia so treatment choices are similar. Without a cough or some lung symptoms, though, pneumonia is almost certainly not present.

Your symptoms of "mind problem" may be a side effect or reaction to the TMP/SMX. I'd suggest you talk with your doctor about these new symptoms to be sure everything is OK and to see if you should continue on with the antibiotics.

Best wishes.
 abe froman - Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:44 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply Doc! I figured the mind stuff was the deep cavity infection since it started about 48hrs before I took my first Septra pill but I was told the sun might give me issues with this medication and it has. Thanks for the clarifiction on whether amox would be any different than what Im already taking. No need to make another trip to the hospital if Im not getting worse. Just not better. Will be alittle more patent with this med.
if no improvement in a week than another viist will be in order. thanks again peace

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here