Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Nipple infection?

zazensparks - Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:08 pm

Hi, hoping I could get some help with this problem.

My nipple was pierced back in September with no ill effects up until now. This morning, however, I noticed that a blister had former adjacent to my nipple on my aereola, roughly the size of a halved pea. The skin was thin, shiny, and partially collapsed, like it had been stretched out and then deflated a little, but it was still mostly full of fluid. There were several red patches where it looked as though the skin had been abraded. This was probably a bad idea, but decided to lance it, and since I'm an art student have a scalpel, which i boiled and then broke the skin of the blister with. Pus immedietely came out, mostly pure but the last of it tainted with a small amount of blood, and its size diminished considerably. I've been wearing a band-aid over it and it doesnt seem to have done anything except weep clear fluid quite slowly. Is there anything I should or can do to treat this or are antibiotics the only solution?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:44 pm

This may continue to heal without incident and you can certainly use topical antibiotic ointment (triple type like Neosporin is good). But, there is always the risk that infection can get into the bloodstream and cause serious illness so if you develop fever, chills, redness and pain locally, or other symptoms of concern you should immediately get to your health care provider or emergency clinic.

|