Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Post MRSA

Azza21 - Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:59 pm

I was diagnosed with MRSA about a month ago due to large boils that I had on my rear end. I was on Cipro and completed the full 2 week round of antibiotics. The boils were treated with Altabax and have healed normally. The boil sites are still there with a hard scab that is still in the healing process. I have not done anything since diagnoses to irritate the boils, because I don't want them to come back. My dermatologist said that is normal and they will eventually be completely gone.

I am wondering if MRSA ever goes away, and how do I know if it was cured with the antibiotic. I have no other symptoms of boils returning on my body. But after the round of antibiotics were finished, I was not tested again for MRSA in my nose. 2 days ago I got flu like symptoms including chills, sweats, coughing and drainage. I have had the cold/sinus infection symptoms for about a week before it worsened. I have woken up with a tight chest, feeling like there is a lot of goop in there, and a puffy face, contributed by a sinus headache. It does not hurt to breathe, or sound wheesy. And I am not short on breath. But when I cough hard the back of my throat hurts under my chin, but farther back, on the top before my espohogus. I've never had a pain there before. My fever started at 100 and is now up to 102 between taking Cold & Sinus medication to reduce the fever and inflammation. Is this just the flu or could MRSA have something to do with it?

My concern is that I know that MRSA can deeper effect organs in the body. And with recently having it, could my flu be caused by MRSA and be something more serious than what I think. I was not going to go to the doctor right away and was going to see if the symptoms improve. But having remembered that MRSA can cause flu like symptoms if it causes pneumonia, I have become concerned. What are the chances that Cipro did not cure the MRSA, and should I be tested again? I may be overanalyzing, but I appreciate the help! Thanks in advance.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:40 am

User avatar Hi Azza21,

Most people who get MRSA skin infections are actually colonized with MRSA. Typically it can be found in the nose. MRSA is prone to causing skin infections because when it gains the genes to become drug resistant it also tends to activate genes that help it evade the immune system a bit allowing it to cause infections a bit more prevalently than its more sensitive counterpart.

It is unlikely that a 2 week course of Cipro would cure the carrier state. The carrier state can be cured sometimes but typically it requires a nasal ointment and a topical skin wash done simultaneously for about a week.

MRSA can cause pneumonia and sinusitis although the more typical causes are still more common than MRSA.

I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation of your symptoms to see if there is a particular treatment you may need.

Marmalade77 - Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:37 pm

By cipro do you mean ciprofloxacin? I work in a laboratory that involves senstivity testing of bacteria including MRSA and they are almost always resistant to ciprofloxacin. (unless its a PVL positive strain).

|