News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Recurring Strep Infections

Samba - Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:52 am

I am home now recovering from another bout of cellulitis. This time I was hospitalized for 12 days, 3 of which were spent in the MICU. My previous (and first) bout with this nightmare was this past spring. This time it hit very fast and was much more serious. Through blood cultures, it was positively identified that strep was the cause.
I am now curious as to a possible connection between this infection and my past strep infections as a child and young adult. I had scarlet fever as a child and countless cases of strep throat which continued through my early thirties. I'm in my early 50's now and have mild asthma and psoriasis my legs and arms. While on the IV penicillin, my psoriasis all but faded away. I remember one of my primary care physicians from years ago telling me I was carrier of the strep bacteria. Could all of these things be connected?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:42 pm

User avatar Hi Samba,

It may be that you are, indeed, a carrier of strep. Simply being a carrier does not necessarily increase the risk of severe infections, though. You may want to consider seeing an immunologist to have some screening immune function labs done to see if there is the possibility of you having an immune defect that is increasing the risk of you contracting a severe infection.

An immune system problem presenting at age 50 is unlikely but it sounds like you may have been having this issue since you were young.

If you are a carrier, there may be a possibility of eradicating the carrier state by taking a course of antibiotics. This may work but, unfortunately, there is a chance that even with appropriate antibiotic treatment the bacteria may recolonize.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here