News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Frequent Colds & my immune system

hughgrant - Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:35 am

Hi there,

25 year old male, based in UK.

In the past year I have had frequent colds - just under one a month on average (mostly at the front end of the year). Although prone to the odd cold, I have never had so many in a single year.
I went to my GP, who did a CBC, liver function test, diabetes test. All came back within the normal ranges.
In addition, my tongue has had a white coating at the back for over a year. A swab for thrush came back negative.
I also have skin problems, including a weird single red patch (only very mildly itchy) on the sole of each foot lasting for a few months.

At what point should my GP assess my immune function, igg levels etc?

Could I have just had a bad, unlucky year? My health has previously been fine up til now.

I have had a full STD panel, including numerous HIV tests, which were all negative, but I am concerned any problem with my immune system could prevent these tests from being accurate.

Thanks for the help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:34 pm

User avatar Hello Hughgrant,

By far the most likely cause is that you simply were unlucky and have gotten back to back infections. Actually, luck may not have had much to do with it. When your immune system is fighting off one viral infection it is more likely to be able to catch another one before it has had a chance to recover from the first infection. Additionally, there are generally more viruses around during the winter season.

Keep in mind that most immune defects would have presented much earlier in your life as well. If you feel this is atypical and are concerned there are some very simple screening blood tests that can evaluate for many of the more common immune defects.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here