News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Getting HIV or HCV from sharing lancets to test Blood Sugar

220095 - Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:10 am

If you use a friends lancet used by diabetics to test blood sugar, what is the likelyhood of getting HIV of a form of hepetitis or any other disease. I don't know if the person has any disease, but I don't think they do. They had already used the lancet, so i assumed that there was a chance of contacting something, but I wanted to know how likely it was. The lancet was sterilized with a lighter and alcohol. Thank You
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:15 am

User avatar Hello 220095,

In general, the risk of transmission of a blood born illness such as HIV or hepatitis is significantly less with solid needles, such as a lancet, than it is with a hollow needle, such as injection needles; however, the risk is not zero.

Your risk is probably fairly low since these viruses are not particularly strong and the heat/alcohol will help destroy them. I would still recommend against sharing needles, including lancets because even with the best of sterilizing techniques there is still a small chance that an infection could be spread.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here