News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: possible syst. inf from p.ivy?

worrywart - Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:21 am

Husband (33, white, fit, healthy) developed rash we assume is poison ivy last week. Scratching felt so good he took a hand sander to it. :roll: Lots of pus/drainage/irritation. :shock: Increased redness/warmth around original areas on legs and wrist. Now the lymph node in his right groin is swollen pretty large. Should we be concerned with a systemic infection or just let it "work itself out"? He has left-over samples of augmentin amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium 500mg q12hr and he thinks that will cure it for sure. Thank you in advance for any suggestions
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:26 am

User avatar Dear Worrywart,

Your husband needs to be seen by a health care professional to be diagnosed correctly.

i don't recommend taking any prescription medication without his doctor's approval.

You can call his doctor and ask if it is ok or not to take the augmentin till he is seen, but please don't take any prescription medication without doctor's approval or at least let the doctor know that he is going to take it.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 countrycutie - Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:58 am

I've battled poison ivy all my life, it gets very aggervating. The rash you described does sound like poison ivy. The poison ivy rash that you get is an allergic reaction to the oil on the plant. You can get it by touching the plant itself, or depending on how sensitive you are to it, you may get it from handling a jacket that came into contact with it. The best way I've found to treat the rash is plantain. This is a common plant that grows in your front yard. It reminds me of lettuce. The leaves are very round and grow in little clumps. Shred the leaves by hand and and make sure they're a little moist. After you've shredded the leaves apply them to the rash and make sure you rub them around on it very well. Do this 3 times a day. My poison ivy is gone in less than a week when I do this. I wouldn't take the augmentin though. Augmentin is an antibiotic. You're seeking treatment for an allergic reaction, not necessarily an infection. Over the counter allergy medications (Benadryl) always worked for me. My grandmother taught me a saying to learn poison ivy, schumack, oak etc. "Leaves of 3 let them be, leaves of 5 let them hide." Hopefully this info. will atleast make him more comfortable and keep him from getting the sander back out. :lol:

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here