Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Diagnosed with Influenza, question about symptoms

sarabeth - Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:58 am

Hello. I was diagnosed yesterday with Influenza. I know most of the symptoms, but I am having some strange symptoms that I am wondering if they are related to the influenza or not. The symptoms I am having that I don't understand are rapid heart rate (96 bpm to 120bpm), VERY frequent urination especially at night, leg cramps (charley horse) in both legs this morning when I woke up. My urine is cloudy but I have no pain when I urinate. Any answers would help greatly. :)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:38 am

User avatar Hello Sarabeth,

There are a few possibilities for your symptoms and they can all potentially be tied back to the influenza virus. The rapid heart rate may be due to some mild dehydration. Influenza can cause inflammation of the muscles leading to cramping. It can also cause some inflammation of the kidneys and bladder (basically similar to a urine infection from the virus rather than a bacteria).

If your symptoms do onto begin to improve in the next few days or if they are getting worse I would recommend you see your doctor for re-evaluation.

sarabeth - Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 pm

Well, thank you so much for your answer. It helped me a lot. I actually tonight have been having fever & nausea, & right flank pain which after reading this I think is a kidney infection. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, but am scared to wait a day. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I took some tylenol & the fever is down to 99.1 (was 100.2).
 sarabeth - Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:30 pm

Okay well, forget my last post. I went to the doctor today and my urine test was normal. They said there was a tiny spec of blood, but I am on my cycle so it probably just came from that. What else could be causing the pain? It is abdominal/back pain on my right side. She did a CT scan on my upper right quadrant to look at my gallbladder & pancreas. What can you tell from a CT scan? She said that if the CT turns up nothing, then there is some other test she's going to do. I don't know exactly what though.
 sarabeth - Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:52 am

The other test is called a Hida Scan. Or Hyda Scan.

And to update, again, I went to the ER today after sever abdominal pain all day long. They did a CT with & without contrast. Found nothing abnormal (specifically were looking at my gallbladder & appendix because of the locations of the most severe pain). I'm at a loss, honestly. What could be causing this pain? To describe it - It's in my upper torso, beneath my right breast. It's getting worse as time goes by. Could it be Pancreas? Liver? We have done a urine test, but could it still be the kidney? I am having these constant palpitations they are REALLY starting to bother me. It started AFTER the dye they injected in me during the CT. Could that have something to do with the palps? Please let me know on all of this.. Thanks :)
 sarabeth - Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:11 am

Okay so on the CT I had at the doctors office, they called me today & said I have a swollen liver & spleen, & that on the X ray I have some pneumonia in my right lung. I know the pneumonia could be a complication from the influenza I had, But what would cause a swollen liver & spleen? I asked about what they would do to test that, and the nurse told me they would just "watch" it. I am really starting to get scared. My heart palpitations have only gotten worse & so bad that I almost passed out. Is there any advice on what would cause heart palps AND swollen liver & spleen? Or are these two things not related?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:37 pm

User avatar Hello sarabeth -

You've really been through an ordeal, and as of this most recent post of yours, it seems something has been exposed but no one is ready to give it a name. Enlarged liver and spleen are often seen together, and there are over 500 possible causes of this highly unpleasant combo. Some of those potential causes are serious, but most are not. The challenge here is to figure out which one is causing your particular symptoms, and since so little has apparently been done in terms of lab work. While imaging (CT scan, etc.) can show the "What" of a problem, you need the lab involved to help find the "Why." Since this all has followed a bout of inflenza, and since there are often sequalae which follow flu (sequelae meaning things that follow -- didn't mean to be redundant) it's important to find out just what's going on so it can be addressed. Have you had any blood drawn during these medical encounters? I would hope so, but if so then it would seem nothing significant has turned up yet. If that's the case then I suppose the least that could be done would be to follow it and see what develops, but meanwhile you are in a great deal of discomfort. One big possibility that jumps out is mononucleosis (mono) which is easy to test for, often either follows the flu or is mistaken for it in its acute phase, and will certainly cause enlargement of both organs as you've experienced. Usually there will also be some discomfort due to the organ enlargement and often extreme fatigue as well.

The palpitations don't seem to fit the rest of the picture, at least on the surface, but if you have a deficiency of something due to inflammation of your liver or spleen, or because there is something not quite right with your blood cells, then this could possibly cause the palpitations. Then again, they often occur for no apparent reason at random times, or because of things we ingest (caffeine, nicotine, etc.). Hopefully by now someone has gotten a better idea of what is wrong or, better yet, perhaps it has run its course and you're feeling better.

Please keep in touch with us here. Hopefully by now the picture is clear and you're feeling a lot better.

|