"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Hospital Acquired - MRSA

cherbrig - Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:13 am

Nov 2007 I was diagnosed with HA-Mrsa after having hernia repair surgery. I tested positive for it in my urine, abdomen and sinuses.
What are the symptoms of HA-MRSA? I know that CA-MRSA causes boils. And I have already had 2 at different times.
Is MRSA something I will have to live with for the rest of my life?

Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:24 am

User avatar Hello Cherbrig,

Hospital Acquired MRSA is basically the same as community acquired MRSA. Typical infections caused by these two strains of MRSA are the same and include spontaneous skin infections.

The main difference between the two strains is their antibiotic resistance pattern. Hospital acquired MRSA is typically slightly more resistant to antibiotics than is community acquired MRSA.

MRSA can colonized the skin and may or may not be present for life. If infections from the MRSA are becoming a problem there are some treatments to try to eradicate the bacteria. This may or may not be successful but is worth a try if the bacteria is causing a problem. Your doctor can prescribe the needed medicines for this.

cherbrig - Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:48 am

Dr. Lowe,
Thank you for answering my questions.