News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: Strange Smell from Penis

brisgreat1 - Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:03 pm

I had a one night stand about 3 1/2 months ago and for about 60-90 seconds the sex was unprotected. Anyways I learned a great lesson in the following months about condoms and safe sex. However, there are still many things to me that are unclear. The first thing is the smell or odor residing in my genital area, it smells fishy or similar to the smell of a vagina. I read on some other forums that doctors know exactly what causes this and a simple antibiotic is the remedy... I don't know how true this is, although I'm hoping it is, but here's my concern. Since having sex with this partner, which it's been 3 months or so, I've been diagnosed with Prostatitis. There's not much known for the causes of Prostatitis, but I think it might have some relation to sexually transmitted bacteria or viruses. I guess that's beside the point. My urologist prescribed me Cipro and I've been using that for awhile now for the Prostatitis. Cipro is an antibiotic... so shouldn't that of cleared up the fishy smell? I'm just unclear on so many things...
Thanks for taking your time to help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:49 pm

User avatar Hello Brisgreat1,

Cipro is an antibiotic that is commonly used for prostatitis; however, there are other STD's that can cause urethritis/prostatitis and not be covered by Cipro. I would recommend you be fully tested for STD's and be treated for the others since testing is not 100%.

If this doesn't help, you should see a urologist for further evaluation.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here