News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Fearful of tetanus

nickery - Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:35 am

A few days to a week ago, I can't remember exactly when, one of my cats jumped up onto my lap and gave me a small puncture wound on my leg. This morning when I woke up, I was having some spasms in the muscle near this wound. They are mild; I would not even call them painful. Having heard that tetanus causes muscle spasms, I did some reasearch. I have not had the "lockjaw," but did have some mild spasms on one side of my neck a couple of days ago that lasted less then a day and then stopped, as well as stiffness in my left calf yesterday. I had the typical vaccination as a child, but have had no boosters since then. I know tetanus is rare, but I can't help worrying that this is a possibility. Should I make a doctor's appointment?

Thanks in advance for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:38 pm

User avatar Hello Nickery,

In general your risk of tetanus is low. The recommendations are to have a tetanus booster every 10 years. Getting a booster, even after the wound, increases the protection so it is a good idea to see your doctor for a booster tetanus if possible.

If you being to have any muscle pain or the spasms get any worse I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation of this to see if there is an infection or signs of diseases such as tetanus.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here