Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Reoccuring irritation after intercourse!

TBM - Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:44 am

Hello! My partner and I have been together for over one year now. About 5 months ago, he developed flaky, scaly skin on his penis after sex. It was diagnosed as a Yeast Infection. We both used over-the-counter ointment and it went away. But then we had sex again, and it reoccured. Now, after sex, we both have itchy and irritated genitals. I had a Pap smear which turned out normal but an HPV test which came back positive. All other STD tests came back negative.

As of late, we had sex and his itchiness was so severe that it caused an abrasion which scabbed over. Also, almost every time we have intercourse, he develops red patches on both the base and the head of the penis. It takes about a week for these to heal. I also have severe itching and soreness after intercourse.

This has been occurring for over 6 months now. It has recently become more severe. Can this be herpes? Please help, this is causing such stress on our relationship.

I also should mention that I am 4 months pregnant and have been experiencing reoccurring yeast infections.

THANK YOU!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:56 pm

User avatar Hello TBM,

I would recommend you discuss this with your obstetrician for a full evaluation and treatment recommendation. It sounds like you are both having recurring yeast infections. Pregnancy also increases the chances of getting a yeast infection some, making it more likely that the infection is reoccurring.

cheragain - Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:34 am

You most definitely want to discuss this with your obstetrical doctor. This does sound like a reoccurring yeast infection problem which would be less concerning if you were not pregnant. Yeast infections in pregnancy have been linked to premature birth and infections in utero. This would warrant a call to your obstetrical team so they may be able to make the best decision for the care of you and your unborn child. Best of luck!
 TBM - Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:07 am

Dear Dr. Lowe,

My thanks! For some reason my OB is not responsive when questioned on this subject. Perhaps it's time to change OBs. I am grateful for your response!

Warm regards,
TMB

|