News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Virgin Prescribed Zoviraz(

travish12 - Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:26 pm

I'm a 17 year old male virgin that was recently prescribed Acyclovir after I didn't respond to cephalexin and then Sulfamethoxazole. Alls the doctor is saying, even after my visit today, is there is staph present. He doesn't elaborate any further. 3 weeks ago it all began with itching, no sores or anything. The itching and scratching kept going and then I realized something was wrong. I had a rash on the inside of my legs and around my penis, but nothing on it. Not until, I don't know, a week in I got sores on the head of my penis and 5-6 bumps on the shaft. It itched pretty bad but not as bad as I thought herpes could feel. It itched half of the day up until a week and a half ago but now some itch is creeping back. The rash began to decline, and now is spreading slowly. The sores on the head scabbed up (kinda) aweek ago but are still present. Could it be possible that I have herpes? I had chicken pox twice as a kid, one of them having around a hundred on my penis(says my parents.) No scarring from those and I have always gotten cancor sores in the mouth. I do have moderate anxiety though. I have never gotten a cold sore that I can remember and about two years ago had cancor sores going down the back of my throat.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:47 pm

User avatar Hello,
I doubt this is herpes if you have not been sexually active. Cold sores are caused by herpes type 1 but in order for you to get this in the genital region, it would require sexual activity with someone who has the herpes virus, coming into contact with your genitals (i.e. their oral herpes making contact with your genitalia).

Canker sores are not caused by the herpes virus.

My guess is your doctor prescribed an antiviral that would be helpful in getting your own immune system working against whatever this is. It is nonspecific, meaning in triggering your immune system, it doesn't matter what the offending germ is. Since the antibacterial agents didn't work, I believe the doctor suspects it could be viral, so an antiviral agent might be effective. I assume the doctor did not find evidence of a yeast infection.

Keep in mind that anxiety and stress can cause or exacerbate physical conditions so working at this (stress reduction) may also be helpful.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here