Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Pelvic Pains -- am I just worrying too much/stressed?

serpentine - Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:52 pm

I'm a 20 year old, going on 21 this July. I've only had intercoarse once, long ago, it was a mistake. I've tried, and tried to deal with the idea of being touched to get myself checked out. Finally, this January I did. I checked everything. I don't have HIV. I got a papsmear, I phoned them not long ago and they said that 'no news is good news. Your results are in and there is no tab signifying a call back.' Thusly, no abnormal pap.

Now, I'm a fairly healthy person. Almost never get sick. Extremely strong immune system. My periods have always been easy going. Usually, its mentally troubling when I am PMSing such as, consentration, and things like that. I've never experienced pelvic pain or things like this much ever in my life.

After my first pap, my period was not so well. I hear this is normal that after your paps your periods are a little worse. They didn't have enough sample so I had to go again. That was fine, I did so. Between second last period and my last period I had pain in my pelvic region, burning, itching, but no pain while I am urinating, or anything else that would identify as a yeast infection. My period was fine. Now, its been almost five days sense my period is done. Two days later I began to feel pain again. Not enything excrutiating, but pain enough to be felt, or rather irritating. Mostly on the right side of my lower pelvis right near the crease of my thigh. However, I also experience my entire lower pelvice area sort of throbbing or.. being irritating for lack of better words. I've had my inner thighs swell, and sometimes just below my bellybutton will cramp. However, usually its lower, and it stings and somtimes stabs. Also, I experience tightness as well. Furthermore, the skin around my vagina is sometimes burning and itchy-- again though, no further sighns of a yeast infection.

My question is, is this post stress? Is this my body still dealing with the shock and discomfort of the pap? Is it possible they made a mistake and I do have an abnormal (its rare, I am aware. They more commonly mistake you to have something than not)?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:07 pm

I doubt you have anything infectious that they missed with the exam. It sounds like they were quite thorough, having you repeat to be sure of adequate samples.

It is also difficult to say if it is stress related as people respond differently to stress and physical symptoms is one way.

There are many organs in the abdomen so the symptoms you have could be related to a number of them. It is possible you could have a urinary tract infection. Some people get these without typical symptoms. You could also have something like irritable bowel syndrome, involving the bowel. Uterine-related concerns could include endometriosis - something that is not diagnosed through a pelvic exam and pap. If the pain does not resolve soon, you do need to go back to your doctor.

If your symptoms get worse, sharp and stabbing, you get light-headed, have fever, the abdomen becomes rigid, tender and hard, you get constipated or have nausea you should get help right away.

serpentine - Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:24 pm

Debbie Miller,

Thank you. I have been seeking medical help. The symptoms I am showing are strange and no one is quite sure what is going on, but I will keep those symptoms in mind. I have had an xray on my pelvis and hip and all is well.

I have never had trouble with my period, and I just finished it and I am still bloating with back, groin, leg, and calf pain all in the right side.

I just had an ultrasound on my right leg and am having one on my pelvis later on this month. Hopefully I will find out what is happening.

Thank you again.

|