News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Have had cold sores b4 sex now have gen herpes?

isthispossible - Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:04 pm

I have been getting cold sores since before I was sexually active. I just noticed a red rash spot on my scrotum and then noticed 2 other spots that had a white-ish color on it. Also, i noticed that my right groin had a painfull lump in it and my head has been very sensitive to the touch.

I have a feeling that I may have genital herpes.

My question is this.

Since i am already infected with the HSV-1 (cold sores) does that make me already infected with HSV-2 (Genital herpes)?

Also, about a week ago I went to get an ultrasound on my testicles to check out what turned out to be a harmless cyst,

My second question is this.

Is it possible to have contracted the genital herpes from the ultrasound machine if someone had the virus and they used the machine on them and then me? They did not have any protective material on the ultrasound machine when they did my tes.

Please advise. Thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:30 pm

User avatar Hello,
You do not automatically have Herpes Type 2 because you have Herpes Type 1. Either type can be genital but type 1 is more commonly the oral variety. People get genital HSV-1 by oral sex with someone who has this condition. In other words you could give it to a partner.

It is highly unlikely you would contract HSV from medical equipment. Even though you did not see protective materials, that does not mean they do not disinfect the equipment between use. Also, it generally requires intimate exchange of body fluids to contract disease.

Try not to worry too much but you can have a doctor check you if you believe your symptoms are consistent with genital herpes.

Best wishes.
 isthispossible - Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:57 pm

Thank you for your response. One more question please.

This raises a little concern for me becuase, if I do have genital herpes, I have no idea where I got it from. I have been with the same girl for almost 4 years.

Is is possible to have been infected with genital herpes years ago from another partner and it is just breaking out now? and because I have the cold sores it makes me more susceptible to the genital herpes?

My girlfriend says she gets herpes zoster. Would that give me genital herpes?

What other conditions might it be that I have? Thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:03 pm

User avatar Hello -

To quickly answer your additional questions, first, yes, it is possible for herpes to not show up for years. This is one of the things about it which makes it very frustrating, as people have often totally forgotten about the past possible exposure.

Second, yes, herpes zoster can result in genital herpes, although naturally it more often causes oral herpes. But yes, one can acquire genital herpes that way, or even, by passing it to one's partner through kissing, eventually wind up being infected by one's own oral herpes zoster infection.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here