News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Zit-like bump on crotch

Nothintooserious - Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:37 pm

This "thing" is located on my crotch area on the left side, right inside the line where brief underwear are, and towards the top of where the bulk of public hair stops growing.

The "thing" itself looks quite a bit like a larger zit, except it doesn't hurt when pressure is applied (it is puss filled), it is someone oddly shaped (more eliptical than round as most are), and it protrudes from the skin quite a bit higher than most zits. It doesn't seem to be growing or getting smaller and has been around for some time (don't remember exactly, but months surely). It is red, and the only reason it worries me (besides the fact that it hasn't gone away) is no there are two smaller bumps (tiny) that somewhat resemble it, only not as irregularly shaped and are about a half an inch to to an inch away.

At first I just assumed that it was a zit or ingrown hair like I've had before, but this thing hasn't gone anywhere.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:59 pm

User avatar Hello,
The most likely guess is a sebacious cyst. These are quite harmless and can either go away on their own or you may need to have it excised by a doctor if it is bothersome. At any rate you should have it checked out since the best we can do here is an educated guess based on limited information and without examination.

I doubt it is serious but of course sexually transmitted infections are always a concern too and should be treated if that is the case.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here