Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: Fungus in toenail/deformed tonail...

lovinmyhonda - Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:09 am

About a year and a half ago i dropped a dumb bell on both of my big toes at the same time. The toenails died and eventually just fell off but now they have "grown" back very awkwardly. It looks like there is a lot of dead fungus or skin of some type under the naail so the nail doesn't lay flat in the bed of my toes. They are starting to grow upward and outward. They are also yellow now.

I wanted to know what course of action (if any) i can take towards fixing this problem. Could I possibly get the toenails removed? Will they grow back normally?

It's really embarassing and making trips to waterparks, pools, the beach or lakes very unsettling.

Im sorry for my horrible description but that's why you guys are the md's right? :P

Thanks a million!

PS: Sorry for the quality of the pictures.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:14 am

User avatar Hello Lovinmyhonda,

From the pictures it appears that you may have a fungal infection of the nail. These can be very difficult to treat. I would recommend that you see a podiatrist to have this evaluated. Treatment often takes several weeks or even months. In severe cases, an oral medicine may be needed. A podiatrist (foot specialist) will be the best person to advise you on the needed treatment.

|