News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HPV and warts

jmlg5377 - Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:29 pm

I have had warts on my hands in the past that went away on their own, but none have come up in the past 2 years until about 3 months ago, I had one come up right outside of my genital area and one on the outside of my lip. I have went to the doctor and I am now waiting on my results. The dermatoligist said the wart on the outside of my lower lip looked like something else other than a wart. Is it possible to have a wart outside of your genital area and it not be genital warts or HPV, just a plain wart? I read that warts tend to break out in moist areas. I have also had a pap smear, waiting on that result too. I am still worried even though the doctor said everything looked clear. I have had a pap smear every year for the past 6 years, all clear. I have been researching HPV to try to get some answers and it honestly scares me to death even though it doesn't seem to be considered a deadly virus. Hopefully, you can tell me something good.
Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:20 pm

User avatar Hello,

The types of HPV that cause genital warts are usually different from those causing warts on other body parts, such as the hands. it can be hard to tell the difference between a wart and normal bumps on the genital area as well. There are cysts and infected follicles that occur in the genital area. It is possible to have another type of wart show up there. I'm sure your doctor will be able to give you more definitive answers when the lab results are in.

Good luck with this.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here