Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HPV and warts

jmlg5377 - Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:29 pm

I have had warts on my hands in the past that went away on their own, but none have come up in the past 2 years until about 3 months ago, I had one come up right outside of my genital area and one on the outside of my lip. I have went to the doctor and I am now waiting on my results. The dermatoligist said the wart on the outside of my lower lip looked like something else other than a wart. Is it possible to have a wart outside of your genital area and it not be genital warts or HPV, just a plain wart? I read that warts tend to break out in moist areas. I have also had a pap smear, waiting on that result too. I am still worried even though the doctor said everything looked clear. I have had a pap smear every year for the past 6 years, all clear. I have been researching HPV to try to get some answers and it honestly scares me to death even though it doesn't seem to be considered a deadly virus. Hopefully, you can tell me something good.
Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:20 pm

The types of HPV that cause genital warts are usually different from those causing warts on other body parts, such as the hands. it can be hard to tell the difference between a wart and normal bumps on the genital area as well. There are cysts and infected follicles that occur in the genital area. It is possible to have another type of wart show up there. I'm sure your doctor will be able to give you more definitive answers when the lab results are in.

Good luck with this.

|