Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Swollen Lymph Nodes Spreading all over left side HELP!

aghabran - Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:37 pm

Hi I about 4 days ago I noticed a big bump on the back of my head (occipital region) which was strange because I didnt remember ever falling or bumping my head. It didnt hurt the first day (only when pressed) but began to ache about two days ago. Yesterday I found a swollen lymph node on my neck above my clavicle bone so I realized the bump on my head was also a swollen lymph node.Today I found another swollen lymph node behind my ear, this one is painful and red.All lymph nodes are pretty big and remain the same size. My skin on my left arm is very sensitive to touch and if touched it hurts. Is it normal for swollen lymoh nodes to spread this fast? I have been pretty healthy otherwise. The skin on my legs have been itchy for a bit but I just assumed it was dry skin. About a week ago in the shower my skin was so itchy around my knees and lower thighs that I had a small blood blister from the itching. I have been moisturizing every day though. Also, recently I have been getting sharp random pains in my armpits but they go away after a few seconds. Just thought that was weird. I am not worried about my skin cause its winter and it gets very dry, it just a symptom i thought i should include.
Should I be worried? What could this be?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:54 pm

User avatar Hello Aghabran,

Lymph nodes can rapidly enlarge. It may be that you are fighting off an infection. Some infections (such as with ebstein barr virus) can make lymph nodes become quite large and tender.

Lymph nodes can also become secondarily infected with a bacteria so if you have a node that is quite painful I would recommend you have your doctor take a look at it to see if you may need antibiotics.

If these nodes continue to enlarge or you notice that you are continuing to have more and more over the next few days I would recommend you see your doctor.

|