News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: I was sure it was the Flu

jsmith05 - Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:16 am

After some work for extended periods yesterday outside (very cold) I went to bed around 12:00am, woke up around 2:00am and was freezing and shivering like crazy. The ambient temperature in the room was a good 70-80 degrees. I went and got in a hot shower for over an hour. I also had a slight shortness of breath and slight dry cough. These sound like textbook flu symptoms right? Woke up this morning and I feel fine, my chest is a little sore, still have a periodic slight dry cough.

I decided to see a doctor last night, but since I feel fine should I still bother to go? Either it wasn't the flu or I have a super awesome immune system.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:53 pm

User avatar Hello,
There are thousands of viruses capable of making you ill as you describe. Some are short-lived. The flu typically lasts quite a while so you probably did not have that. The other viruses that infect your body can exhibit a wide range of symptoms and even time frames. You most likely had a virus; not actual influenza. Keep in mind many people call any viral infection "flu" when in fact it is not.

If you are well, you should be able to cancel your appointment.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here