Forum Name: Other infections

Question: strange mystery illness-please help

sahra_black - Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:33 pm

i have no idea what this could possibly be, i've asked others about it and they have no answer. the illnesss only last a day, if that. it starts out by having a feeling of extreme cold when i breathe, then i get the fever, and the highest it's been is 103.5. i get bad chills, disorientation (like i have to work to turn my head but there's no pain and it seems like i'm walking in a dreamworld) my breathing is shallow and my heart races, and after a few hours it's gone. i experienced it all last year, around the time my husband and i were having bad troubles. in the period of about 5 months i had this twice, had to have my tonsils removed due to severe infection and became abcessed (swollen larger than walnuts), and shingles. i was only 21 years old. does anyone have any ideas? is it possibly stress induced? it really bothers me that i don''t know what it was-is it possible that i have some type of cancer and don't know? please, someone help me
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:18 pm

User avatar Dear Sahra_black:
Have you been to the doctor for this? If so were any lab tests done and what were the results of them? Could you provide us with the results of the lab tests? We would need to know a little more about this before giving an answer. Is it only at stressful moments or do the symptoms occur when resting quietly? Do you feel any heart palpitations (a pause in the heart beat followed by a hard beat of the heart)? When you feel cold, while breathing in, do you feel cold over your body also? Do you develop any type of rash or blister like lesions? How long does your fever last? I await your reply.
Thanks for using The Doctor's Lounge.
Carolyn

sahra_black - Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:40 pm

one of the last times i was "struck" i did go to the emergency room. i was so scared that something was terribly wrong with me. however, even though when i got there i had a fever over 103, they made me sit out in the waiting room for 5 or 6 hours. when the doctor saw me he told me i had a sinus infection even though he didn't check me over or run any tests. i've never had any tests run, never really had the money to do so. it does seem that it always occurs when moments are most stressful, but usually it would be days i wouldn't be doing anything in particular. i've had it a total of four times so far. the fever usually lasts for a better part of 24 hours, along with the rest of the symptoms. yes, there were heart palpitations, and yes i did feel cold all over-but i think from the chills. they were so bad my teeth would chatter and i would lay in the floor with a blanket over the heating vent (this was in winter) and still i was cold. i never developed any kind of a rash or anything, except for the shingles i developed around the same time. as for the disorientation, it was almost like i was underwater, likewise with impaired hearing. i've always had strange medical problems but this one worried me particularly. any ideas?
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:59 pm

User avatar When you have a high fever, and 103 is high for an adult, it is common to feel cold chills, disorientation, fast heart rate and shallow breathing. I assume that the doctor diagnosed sinus infection because you had some tenderness either around the orbits of the eyes on across the forehead or had a discharge from the nose. Once the fever goes down the symptoms should go away. When people are under unusual stress, their immune system(part of the body that fights off infection) does not work as well and they are more prone to infection, colds, sinusitis, etc. I would recommend you try to find ways to reduce your stress, perhaps by taking frequent breaks from whatever it is that stresses you, make sure your diet is high in foods that are natural antioxidants (fruits/vegetables), drink plenty of water and take mega does of Vitamin C. All these things will help to build up your immune system to aid in warding off infection.
Good Health To You,
Carolyn

janetriley - Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:23 pm

Hello.
My GUESS would be you had a couple of diffent things going on,Fever and other problem more virus maybe?But the feeling of cold,under water dream world sounds like panic disorder I was told it can give all sorts os symptoms,I have panic disorder and I get dizzy,nausea,heart racing,feels like your going to either pass out or die.
There is medications to help with these things,
Let me know how things turn out.
God bless have a nice day.

|