Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Possible Viral infection w/ rectal bleeding

sickguy - Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:29 am

Age 30
Sex M
Past diagnoses: none
Past surgeries: broken Elbow (1992)
Family history: bone cancer, hypertension, high cholesterol
Current medications: none

I am a little concerned. This past Sunday evening, I had a meal that I believe gave me some bad heartburn (lasagna). I took Pepto Bismol 3 times that night; however my sleep was spotty at best (probably a total of 3 hrs sleep). I went to the gym at around 5:20 AM and came back home afterwards. I was not feeling well, but nothing serious.

I went to bed Monday night, still somewhat difficult to sleep because at this point, my entire body was aching and I also had a runny nose. I slept on my side, with my face pointed down. I did this because I have had several incidents in the past where a runny nose has led to nasal runoff and a sore throat in the morning.

I successfully avoided the sore throat, but felt worse overall Tuesday morning. Again, I did not have a lot of sleep.

It is now Wednesday. A few more things, first, I have had rectal bleeding for the past three BMs, the first had blood specifically on one side of my stool (indicating that it might be a tear on one side of my intestinal track. The last two have been completely covered in blood.

While I have listed a family history of hypertension & high cholesterol, I do not think these would be the cause. I had my blood pressure taken almost 10 times this past October (2007) and each time showed me as 120/80 (note: diastolic pressure may be higher, I do not remember). While I have not had my BP taken recently, I have not had a significant change in diet, exercise routine, etc.

I eat (for the most part) very healthy. For the past 3 days I have been having a very high fiber diet (almost no protein).

I believe that I have caught the flu that has been going around here in Miami, FL. I am in constant contact with students (I am an instructor of adults), several of whom have had similar circumstances (at least missing a day or two of class & feeling overall just drained).

I have also had a small, consistent headache (nothing debilitating) in the frontal lobes of my brain. Just a constant annoyance would best describe it.

Lastly, I have purposely been driving my body temperature up (by wearing extra layers of clothing to bed & going to the sauna). Usually, I feel this need to warm myself only when I am truly sick. I facilitate it to help denature any possible viruses (something I learned about in class). I have ensured that I am drinking a lot of fluids (with electrolytes) to maintain my body's water level. While I have not been having a diarea (except for a very small amount today (Wednesday) I do not believe that I am loosing any more fluids othe than urination.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:21 am

I'm sorry you have been feeling ill. I don't know what you may have but anytime you have significant rectal bleeding it should be checked out with a doctor. Many causes are not serious but it is important to find out why it is happening to the degree it is.

I'm sorry we can't do more or you here but this does require further exam and evaluation by a professional who can actually see you and do whatever tests might be needed to get to the bottom of it.

|