Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Chlamydia that has escalated to lower back pain.

whodi - Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:16 pm

My name is Brad and I am 24 years old.

About 2 and a half years ago, my (ex)girlfriend admitted to cheating on me after I complained to her of pain during urination, slight clear discharge from penis, and swelling of and painful testicles. I went and got tested of ALL STD's and I was diagnosed with Chlamydia about 2 and a half years ago. I was treated with Doxycycline administered for 2 weeks. I did not have sexual activity during this time. Although the discharge from the penis went away, all of my other symptoms (painful testicles, smelly urination, frequent urination, and pain in my lower back) remained. Approximately 2 months with no relief from these symptoms I returned to my doctor who referred me to a urologist. I went to the urologist and he took a urine sample and examined my penis and testicles. Before he even had time to test my urine, if in fact that was his plan, he simply said everything looked fine and that most guys that have anything wrong with their penis or areas surrounding it get very paranoid and tend to think something is still wrong. About a year later, after determining that I am certainly not just imagining these symptoms I went to the Health Department (because I am no longer covered by any insurance) and told them that I have had Chlamydia that has not gone away. They gave me 4-6 pills (I don't remember exactly how many) and I took them all there in front of them. The symptoms still never went away.

Today it has been almost 3 years since I first contracted Chlamydia. I still have NO INSURANCE and simply CANNOT AFFORD to go back to the doctor (especially since the last time I spent the money they did absolutely nothing but tell me it was in my head). I assure you that this is not the case - despite the pain in my lower left back at certain times, pain in my testicles constantly, burning/frequent urination periodically - my urine is smelly and dark. The only question in my mind is if this is still Chlamydia or if the Chlamydia is gone but I waited too long to treat it and has now caused some other infection. Or that both of these circumstances are correct. I do not know what to do at all. Should I go back to the health department and get treated for Chlamydia again? I could probably afford the doctor visit if it was just going to be ONE and I had faith that they would know what was wrong with me instead of not trusting anything that I say. I NEED this to be gone and am desperate. It is a daily problem. I cant hardly participate in any athletics or running because my testicles hurt too badly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have any idea what this could be?
Is there any other way to test for Chlamydia than the swab which almost made me pass out last time it was inserted into my penis?
Can Chlamydia turn into anything else?
I was tested for all other STD's before and am certain it is not a different STD.
Please help.

-Brad
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:15 am

It is possible to diagnose chlamydia through a urine sample as well as by swabbing but if you see someone at a STD clinic, such as may be offered with the health department, you will have to submit to whichever method they use there.

Chlamydia is an easy infection to treat so I do not suspect this is still present unless you have been re-infected (always a possibility). If you took the antibiotics as prescribed and as you say, you should be fine that way. Untreated chlamydia does come with complications, but treated appropriately, I doubt your symptoms are related to this past disease, especially since you had follow up care with a urologist who found no long-term damage.

I suggest you see a doctor again if you are still having symptoms but it is possible that an exam alone will reveal nothing more than you have already learned. If additional testing is indicated the cost will go up and there is no guarantee you will find an answer or cure to your symptoms. If you have been screened and still found to have no urinary-related health problem, it might be worthwhile to see a therapist at a mental health clinic. If you are having these lingering doubts, you might be able to get a handle on it. The mind is very powerful and you probably feel like you have been dealt a low blow, having contracted this illness in the past. Sexuality is also a very sensitive subject, so having felt violated in this way (or guilty that your own sexual activity led to infection) may cause your body to react physically to the psychological trauma. Your community may have a mental health agency that uses a sliding fee schedule. Ask your employer if they offer an Employee Assistance Program which provides life assistance counseling, often at no cost to the employee.

For anyone without health insurance I recommend a health savings account. Consider that if you had insurance you would have to pay monthly premiums for the benefit. Put as much as you can into savings, earmarked for health care, just as if you were paying the premiums and think of it the same way - money you would have had to put out if you were insured. This is not enough to be comprehensive medical coverage but it can at least allow you to see a doctor when you need to and in some people, the costs will be less. For instance if you only need to see a doctor once every six months, your cash price may be less than your premiums for insurance would have been. If it means picking up an extra part-time job to afford to take care of your health, it might be worth it.

|