News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Question About STDs

typical2003 - Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:38 am

Just for a better understanding, can infected clothing (both outerwear and especially underwear) spread AIDS/HIV or any other STD for that matter even after it has been washed in a washing machine? Or would the washing have eliminated all the viruses, bacteria, etc?

Thanks
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:25 pm

User avatar The HIV virus cannot be spread unless it gets into your system. Contact with clothing or even having it on your intact (no open areas) skin would not infect you. It has to have a way INSIDE you in order to infect you. As for other STD's the only types that can be passed by touching the clothing or bed linens used by the infected person is that of Pubic Lice (Crabs) or Scabies. In those cases all clothing and linen needs to be washed in hot water and put through a hot dryer for 20 minutes. I hope this helps.
Regards,
Carolyn
 lilamae0204 - Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:37 am

:? You say ' LIce is the only one that can be contacted other than through sex??
I have been told Trich. can be contacted through wet towels, clothing, wash clothes, even toilet seats.. I was DX with Trich . in Aug. .. I know with no doubt at all. there has to be another way to contact Trich. I am 41 yrs old and have been sexually active with 3 men in my entire life. and only one which is my husband in over 7 yrs.
He was neg. for trich. SO< quess what he thinks.. ?? I hve seacrched from here to CDC in atlanta trying ot find ways to get TRICH> IF anyone HAS ANY INFO. PLEASE..
SHED SOME LIGHT ON MY SITUATION BEFORE I COMPLETELY LOOSE IT SEARCHING FOR AN ANSWER!! :cry:
i HVE SEARCHED UNTIL I AM LOOSING ANY HOPE OF FINDING ANYTHING. i SIT EVERYDAY SEARCHING FOR AN ANSWER AS TO HOW I GOT IT. THERE HAS TO BE ANOTHER WAY OTHER THAN SEX. I KNWO THERE IS WITH NO DOUBT.
i HAVE POSTED NUMEROUS QUESTIONS ON HERE FOR HELP. nO ONE SEEMS TO HAVE AN ANSWER. MAYBE IT IS NOT MEANT FOR ME TO FIND OUT. i AM ON THE VERGE OF GIVING UP .

HELP..
LILAMAE

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here