Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Rash and bumps on Penis

Northernrob - Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:30 pm

About four and half months ago I had shaved my scrotum and hadn't noticed anything abnormal. A few day later I started having some discomfort on my penis and noticed two large red spots on the verge of bleeding on the leftover foreskin. I should backup a bit and mention that I had a newborn at home who did not sleep for the fist few months without being rocked or bounced in our arms on a theraball (big rubber ball). My assumption was that the constant friction from bouncing, sweating and the new stubble from my shaving caused a blister or lesion/s to appear (the area were the bumps are now has always been more sensitive from rubbing and had more leftover foreskin that dangles loose). The lesions started off very swollen and very sensitive on the underside of my penis just below the head on the remaining loose bit of foreskin (I am circumcised). I had kept on bouncing on the theraball for the next week or so trying to minimize the rubbing between my penis and stubble on my scrotum but only aggravated the lesions more it seemed. I stopped bouncing and within a week the lumps or lesions went down in size drastically but did not disappear. The appearance seemed to be like a scar with the loose skin of the area seeming to have folds, when the skin is stretched out the surface feels raised and smooth like a chickenpox scar I have on my shoulder.

A few weeks after the lesions or bumps showed up I broke out in a body rash (Red skin and small bumps) that itched like you would not believe (maybe of no relation), this rash covered my arms chest stomach bum legs and genital area as well. After a few weeks of moisturizing and switching to gentle cleanser the rash seemed to clear up with the odd flare up on my scrotum and in a patch just between the head of my penis and remaining foreskin (this patch seems to have a mind of it's own being there one day and seeming to disappear the next). The rash seems to consist of tiny reddish Bumps a silvery tinge that doesn't itch too much or cause me pain although I do notice the patch if I have been sweating down there. I should also mention that I was wearing a polyester protective penis garment called the manhood to avoid more chaffing and it seemed to help with that but I have stopped wearing the garment and since then things started to shrink even more now.

The texture of the bumps changes from day to day and it would seem several times in one day. Sometimes the bump feels like loose skin and other times it feels like a semi hard lump that feels like soft scar tissue and the surface is dry to the touch. The bumps have never bled or released any fluids and seem to get better every day.

I have setup a site with some more recent pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/northernrob ... dNpqphwBEM

My questions are:

1) Is foreskin tissue more prone to injury and scarring than regular skin.

2) How long should this skin take to heal properly and the scar to be absorbed?

3) Do the rash and lesions look like anything to worry about?

4) Can a person develop an allergy to synthetic materials like polyester later on in life?

Thank you

NorthernRob
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:59 am

While it is difficult to say how long foreskin should take to fully heal, it is probably slightly more prone to injury than regular skin, since it has a slightly different composition and is not exposed to the elements on a regular basis.

The photographs make the lesions look a great deal like the result of friction, which is certainly a possibility in this case. They of course could also be indicative of herpes, but given the course of the complaint it seems unlikely, whereas there was plenty of irritation potential.

Finally, yes, as with all allergies, polyester sensitivity can develop at any time in life. These things seem to be cumulative sometimes and at others, completely random, but there is no question allergies and sensitivites to most things can be acquired at any age.

Good luck, I hope you will bring this to the attention of a doctor (there is no substitute for real-time evaluation of these things, as uncomfortable as it may be for many people), and please do follow up with us here.

|