Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Skin tags, viral warts, HPV.

Javon - Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:15 pm

I am a 25 gay male. I practice safe sex all the time. I have had unprotected sex recently but it was with my current partner who was a virgin. However, I have recently notice some bumps around my anus. I visited my Doctor and he said they were skin tags (about three of them) but he also notice about two or three small bumps around the area. He thinks it might be HPV, viral warts and has recommended me to see a skin specialist. In the mean time, he prescribed a cream called "Aldera" (hope I have the name right) Now I have done a little research on my own and have found out that there is no approved test for Men to determine if you have the HPV or not. My question is how can you diagnose someone with a disease like that where their is no test available. Can anal skin tags be cause by anal sex? Could this be something else other than HPV?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Skin tags are not caused by sex and are just a benign skin condition.

The Aldera is a good option for treating the warts. It takes only a tiny amount but you must use it daily for several weeks as directed.

It is possible it could be molluscum contagiosum if not HPV. Either of these conditions can go away on their own but you have nothing to lose with the treatment that is likely to expedite the improvement.

As for diagnosis, in many cases the doctor has to use his own judgment based on experience. Lab testing is a relatively new phenomenon to help in diagnosis but it is not yet to the point that we can find every disease through testing. Medicine is a combination science and art. The doctor relies on intuition along with his medical education.

|