News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: what might be causing symptoms similar to gonorrhea?

slphila - Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:14 pm

I have been having unprotected sex with my boyfriend for about 5 months. I was tested shortly before we began dating and my results were completely clean. He was tested shortly after and also came back all negative. A few days ago, he came back from a month-long trip. We had sex several times, and within less than 24 hours I began having painful urination, a pus-like discharge, and some bleeding. Intercourse was slightly painful the second and third times. Everything I have found says that these are symptoms of gonorrhea. I have not had sex with anyone besides him, and as far as I know, he has been faithful. Even if he had cheated on me, would it be possible for the symptoms to appear in only 24 hours? I realize that if he had cheated on me, I could have been infected before he even left, but it seems too much of a coincidence that the symptoms would appear immediately after sex. It has been about 48 hours since these symptoms began. I have been taking cystex - an over the counter UTI medicine. The purulent discharge is lessening, as is the burning sensation, but I'm afraid the medicine is just covering up the symptoms. I am making an appt with my gyno ASAP, but until the, I'm freaking out. Any ideas what this could be?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:23 pm

User avatar Hello,
Incubation is quite short - as few as two days but the fact that you had symptoms at 24 hours makes me think this is not the case here.

There are many causes for infections so you should find out what it actually is by seeing a doctor. You may just have a urinary infection or bacterial vaginosis. But, when sexually active it doesn't hurt to be checked for the STIs.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here