News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Single, painful blister two inches above penis

sawyer84 - Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:13 pm

I'm a male, and in my early 20's. About 3 or 4 days ago, a single, red bump, almost pimplelike started appearing about 2, 2 1/2 inches above the base of my penis. I thought it might be a ingrown hair or heat bump like I tend to get time to time. However, it is getting bigger and forming almost into a blister at this point. It is fairly painful, and it is hard to the touch, and looks as if it isn't leaving anytime soon. I have had unprotected sex recently(within the last three or four weeks) with 2 partners and unprotected anal sex with one partner. I would not describe any of them as promiscuous, but am still nervous this could be an STD. Am i overlooking this?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:38 am

User avatar Hello -

Denial seems to be a big problem with STDs. While your description of the lesion makes it sound like a possible ingrown follicle, the fact that you've had unprotected sex recently makes it more likely to be either a symptom of a newly acquired STD or possibly a hygeine issue related to unprotected sex. This is not as unlikely as it sounds. There are some less publicized STDs which can cause a lot of discomfort, do some damage if not treated, and cause a lot of anxiety. This latter is especially important, since convincing one's self that unprotected sex is safe and thus the eventual medical complaint must not be related to it is in itself a dangerous and unnecessary diversion.

Get yourself seen by a physician, preferably while this lesion is still present and visible. If it goes away, do not let this deter you from being seen, as this could be an early sign of something (perhaps primary syphillis) which could go dormant for a time. If treated, you radically reduce your chances for problems later on.

I hope you've already been seen, and do follow up with us here.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here