News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HPV Wart? Options? advice?

kaspir - Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:06 pm

hi. Just the otherday my girlfriend noticed a bump on the foreskin of my penis(uncircumsized) located about at the halfway point. I have known for 6 months now that she infact has HPV but she has no warts and i have had unprotected sex with her many times - when she was diagnosed i had already been having unproteced sex with her for about a year so i figured it was already too late for prevention. The bump itself i am sure is a wart it is a small solid feeling round bump(there is only one) Heres where my question comes in. Is it imperitive that i get this looked at? i Would greatly prefer my family dossent know about this and im sure seeing a doctor for it would lead to me having to fill them in on it. Is there any over the counter way i can battle the wart? i started taking Folic Acid and drinking alot of orange juice. Any Advice? also my girlfriend has had all of her shotts of guardasil as of 2 weeks ago - Does this meen she is immune to warts? or coud she develope them from me? currently i don't know if i should let her give me oral sex or not please help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:04 pm

User avatar Hello,
You said your girlfriend has known HPV infection and she just completed the HPV vaccination so they would have been doing this to protect her from some of the other forms of HPV (there are 130 identified variations) since it is too late to protect her from the one she already has acquired. 30 to 40 types are transmitted sexually. The vaccine protects against four types - those most commonly known to cause cancer in women.

So, if you have already been infected by her, the vaccine won't protect you from genital warts. I know of no treatment available over-the-counter. The doctor can offer several treatment options. Patient confidentiality is standard so your parents would not need to know of your visit. If you are afraid due to small town familiarity, see another doctor in another area. If the doctor is a family friend, he/she should still maintain confidentiality. It never hurts to remind the staff that you want to be sure nothing is mailed to your parents' home if you feel they would open your mail. Most physicians mark the envelope confidential but I realize this can raise questions. Perhaps scheduling a routine physical exam would be the safest course, then you can tell them what you are doing without causing alarm. Let them know you want to be sure you are current on all your potential vaccines such as tetanus and you want to verify your overall health status. Having been sexually active it is always wise to be checked for sexually transmitted infections.

Best wishes

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here