Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: injured labia

llimbo72 - Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi there -

In the last month I have some genital concerns. It started with some thick discharge, more than normal but otherwise normal, which became dry and stuck to my labia, resulting in a wound. I had pain for a few days while this healed, and tried wearing pantyliners to prevent any further sticking, but even they seemed to get in the wrong spots and irritate me. Then a week later the area became very itchy and sore, and when my husband and I looked at it, there were three red, raw, angry looking patches less than 1 cm in diameter inside the labia majora and on the labia minora. I tried treating this with an over-the-counter yeast infection kit, and I applied some cream that I have which includes cortisone, an anti-fungal and an antibacterial agent, and it went away in a few days. Then I had my period and I used tampons throughout, trying to minimize any discharge. Then I noticed that the angry spot on the labia minora was still there, except it seemed a bit scabby and quite tender, so I applied polysporin with a topical anaesthetic. Afterwards I was quite dry for a week or so and I thought I had fixed the problem, as the spot was less and less sore. I continued to apply polysporin until it healed. Two days ago I had copious discharge but it was clear, so I wondered if maybe I was ovulating. Last night my husband and I had sex, and today, he has a little rash on his penis, and he is complaining that it is quite itchy. I don't know if this is related, but we both, and our two-year-old daughter, have been sick with a cold off and on for about three weeks, and he has been fighting pink-eye (I did not have any eye symptoms). What is going on with us? Do you think there is an STD potentially involved? (not sure where we would have got it, unless I had it before we were together, since 2001?)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:05 pm

There are a number of possibilities including blocked, infected glands, herpes, autoimmune disorder, or even the result of hormonal changes and stress. Behcet's disease is rare in the U.S. but this can also result in sores on the vulva. The fact that your husband also has symptoms is suggestive of an infectious process as opposed to friction soreness however.

Some people have found relief with acidophilus and or vagisil ointment. You can try these once you are convinced there is no bacterial or yeast cause that needs treatment.

It is possible you could have had a latent herpes infection that did not show up until now but that perhaps you were exposed to in the remote past.

Best to get it checked out.

|