Forum Name: AIDS

Question: How easy is it to get HIV? Can I get it from spit?

Chuc - Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:59 am

I know this probably sounds silly but please reassure me. I was wondering if I could get HIV from a very small amount of saliva. I was talking to someone (HIV status unknown), and he spit on my lip, possible in my mouth too I don't know. I immediately wipped the spit on my lip off. I understand that blood must be in the spit for HIV risk, but what if there was blood in his spit somehow. It is possible that my gums were cut at the time on the roof of my mouth above my two front teeth, though if there was it wouldn't have been very big. Thanks.

Chuc
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:58 pm

User avatar Saliva is not considered to be a mode of transfer for HIV. Usually it takes prolonged exposure and/or deep body fluid exchange such as in sex and needle sharing or blood transfer. I would say your risk from this exposure is next to zero.

|