Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Fatigue, headaches, low body tempeture, all test negative

wellness08 - Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:04 pm

I have been feeling bad since May 2008. I am a generally healthy adult. Ever since May I have been to the doctor several times. I have had test on my thyroid functions, diabetes, anemia, blood count, chest x-rays, hiv (2 test: 1 in May08, 1 in August 08), stds (several times since May 08, all came back negative), you name it. Everything has come back negative. My main symptoms consist of fatigue (just feeling tired, not wanting to get up, etc). I have been under some stress but it started in July 2008-August 2008. I went to an ENTs doc because I have had problems with my tonsils which caused me to have night sweats back in Nov 07-Jan 08 . The doc gave me all these antibiotics but my ENTs doc feels i need to get my tonsils removed.
About 2-3 weeks ago, I had some white and red spots on the roof of my mouth. The ENTs doc said it wasn't strep or thrush (both test came back negative).Ever since May I have never had a temperature. Usually just a sub temperature that fluctuates between 97-96.8 usually averaging 97.4-98.2. I am so lost, I just want to feel better.

Here all my symptoms since May 2008:
Fatigue- no matter if i get 6-8 hours of sleep
Feeling Drained with Minimal activity
Pain & Draining feeling Behind My Ear
Recurrent vaginal infections (bv & yeast since April 2008) I used to have an IUD (Mirena), but it was removed in August 2008
Headaches
Dizziness
Lightheaded
Sometimes feeling like I'm going to pass out
Pain nodules in neck
Frequent Bowl Movements (not Diarrhea)
Increased and Decreased Hunger
Infrequent Chest Pain
Irritable
Infrequent pain in arms and legs
Hot flashes (with no temp) and Sweating
Felling Cold

Sometimes I feel like I have gone crazy because every doctor tells me that I'm fine, but I don't feel fine.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:11 am

It sounds as though you could have some sort of viral infection like Epstein-Barr, although I would assume by now you'd have been tested for that. There are many features of your list of symptoms which would fit with that or something similar. It is of course difficult to make an educated guess when all the tests that have been done have come back negative. Still, I'm wondering about E-B and mono as well as other, similar viral diseases.

If you've had these ruled out as well, the only thing I can suggest to you (aside from finding another doctor) is to make sure your nutrition is very good, using vitamin supplements if necessary to be sure you're getting all the nutrients you need. Sometimes this can make an overall difference in how one feels especially when dealing with a chronic illness.

I'd also give some thought to seeing a different doctor.

Hope this is helpful to you.
 wellness08 - Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:27 am

Thank you, I completely agree with you about finding another doctor. I was never tested for Mono. The symptoms have gotten a lot better, But I still feel fatigued and sometime I get frequent headaches. Do you have any other suggestion so I can recommend what to look if its not mono? I did some research on mono and I don't have a fever. How long do Mono symptoms usually last?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:08 am

User avatar Hi -

Mono, Epstein-Barr virus and several other related viral diseases, can be diagnosed only by process of elimination. Many from this family have very similar symptoms, and the greater part of the treatment is rest and proper nutrition. Still, it's much more helpful to know exactly what's going on.

Mono symtoms can last anywhere from a few weeks to the better part of a year, with the average being about three weeks with another three weeks of gradually- reduced fatigue. Some people feel exhausted chronically for months, however.
 wellness08 - Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:15 am

Thank You. I also have been having tender glands directly under my under my ear lobe which sometimes feel like the are draining. I also keep getting white film in patches in my mouth, sometimes on my lip. They are not painful and can easily be wiped away. They get better when i gargle with Hydrogen peroxide. These are the main symptoms I have now, and also Fatigue.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:07 am

User avatar Hi again -

This is all consistent with mono. The enlarged glands will sometimes stay bigger than they were for some time after you're feeling normal again. I'd still encourage you to be tested for mono and if that comes up negative, then for other, related viral diseases, just so you can know what to expect. Also, with mono the spleen is sometimes quite enlarged for a while, which is actually potentially dangerous and all contact sports and general horsing around should be avoided. This is another good reason for a thorough medical exam, as the doctor can feel the spleen for enlargement. (It eventually corrects, like the glands, but during the acute phase it can be very fragile and a ruptured spleen is a life-threatening emergency better avoided). Rest, eat well, treat the symptoms.
 wellness08 - Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:53 pm

I woke up this morning and have few bumps on my lip. They were not there the night before. They look like blisters, but they do not hurt, itch or tingle. When I rub my lips together they feel kind of ruff and scratchy. Well actually one is a just a red mark, there are a few others that are that look like blisters but they are really rough, and the other one looks like an un inflamed pimple. You can see them by just looking at me, you have to get up really close on my lip. I put some hydrocortozone ointment my lips. The red one seems to have gotten alot better with the hydroctozone. What could it be, is it contagious?

Also, my fatigue has gotten alot better, but now I am getting symptoms of the common cold for a little over a week(headache, sneezing, body temp 98.9, sore tonsils, scratchy throat, post nasal drop, yellowish mucus). The gland below my earlobe feel as if they are full and have pressure. I am also getting sharp pains. I have tried to drink lots of fluids (60 oz+ a day) and taking vitamin C and echiniachia but I don't seem to be getting better. I still have those white film like patches on the inside of my lip.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:24 pm

User avatar Hi -

The bumps on your lip sound like cold sores, which can frequently show up during a period of lowered immunity (as with a long-term viral infection). These would probably respond to hydrocortisone, too, although it's not the usual treatment for them. If these are cold sores (herpes simplex type I) they definitely can be transmitted via direct contact.

The fact your fatigue is getting better probably means the virus is starting to die off, but your immune system has been suppressed for a while (in other words you've become "run down") so have now likely picked up some more common virus like the common cold. You may have developed a bacterial superinfection (not a super infection, but a bacterial infection on top of the viral one -- not nearly as bad as it sounds). It would appear to be in your sinuses. You probably should be on an antibiotic to knock this down, since your immune system isn't ready to handle something like this quite yet. This is a very common occurrence even when getting over mono or related viral illnesses. Check with your doctor if it gets worse or doesn't resolve in a few days.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better overall, but you'll really need to be careful to avoid infections for a while, til your body is back up to its normal fighting strength.

|