Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Redness in Pee hole, Is this an STD?

sammj1211 - Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:25 pm

I had unprotected sex three weeks ago. I developed at redness on the inside of my pee hole along with a stinging at the tip of my urethra. It burned slightly when i urinated but this was not a consistent thing. I decided to get tested and went to a confidential testing center. They tested me for gonorrhea, chlamydia, and gave me a test for urinary tract infection. All came back negative. I still have the stinging at the tip of my urethra and the redness in the pee hole seems to come and go. I also seem to be urinating more frequently and i have had some pains in my lower stomach region. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to what may be wrong with me? Thank you
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:05 pm

This sound like urethritis although your tests are negative for any causative organisms.

The condition typically occurs due infections that may be or may not be related to your sexual activity. Most of cases however are due to infections with bacteria (Ecoli) that ascend through the urethral meatus (through intercourse or local contamination). Negative cultures do not exclude bacterial infection especially if tests have been done after starting antimicrobial treatment.

Urethritis can be diagnosed based on the presence of a mucopurulent or purulent urethral discharge; a urethral smear that demonstrates at least 5 leukocytes on microscopy field; and/or the miscopy finding of at least 10 white blood cells (WBCs) in sample from the first-voided urine sample or leukocyte esterase positive on dipstick test of a similar sample.

These symptoms could be also due to a urethritis that is caused by trauma or chemical irritants. There is itching and dysuria in the majority of cases. Avoiding the causing substance is the mainstay of prevention in addition to medications prescribed by your doctor.

Exclusion of STDs is essential and it is good that your doctor recommended it. So, I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to update him with your symptoms.

Please keep us updated.

|