Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Am I still contagious with Mono?

Sh0rtSince1989 - Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:05 am

I have researched and researched and researched but no get no direct answer. I even asked my doctor and she started to Google it in front of me!!! That made me feel uncomfortable...

Is there a test I can take to tell if my saliva is still contagious with the Virus?

I was sick with fever and swollen lymph nodes for about a weeks time and have been fine since(3wk). Just a little weak and tired but I don’t know if it’s the mono or just my busy days of being a full time student and working.

I work at an elementary school and worry about the kids there( i hand sanitize all the time and ect). I also have younger siblings and had to scream at one to not drink out of my water bottle for fear of him getting sick...

I'm just in content fear and I wont lie I am young and want to be able to date again soon. So is there a way to tell when I am for sure no longer contagious???
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:25 pm

User avatar Hi there -

When a person has mono he or she may remain contagious for up to four to five months after the symptoms have subsided. It is such in insidious disease that it's not only hard to realize something's wrong and be tested for it, but it's hard to tell when it's really gone as well, since one may feel tired, weak, etc., for weeks or even months after an infection.

The majority of the general population is immune to mono (Epstein-Barr virus) but many may be carrying it, even when not actively infected. The main concern is that the patient who has it is well enough to return to normal activities. The disease is difficult to spread except by direct contact with bodily fluids, including saliva (the most common cause of its spread anyway, although tracing the source of infection can be very difficult). Once you're feeling well and normal again, you can return to all your normal activities including dating, although for the next few months it would be considerate of you to mention, in the course of conversation, that you've recently had mono (it makes for great conversation anyway). Most people won't (and should not be) turned off by this knowlege. It's not a plague, and the statistical chances of "sharing" it are relatively low to start with and continue to become lower as time goes by and the patient begins to feel better. You will always test positive for the E-B virus anyway, as do most of us, so that's no help in determining whether you have it actively or not.

Again, the main concern is getting yourself feeling perfectly well again. You're doing all the appropriate things at work, and are very unlikely to infect anyone else as a result. Just make sure you get plenty of rest and don't push yourself when you're feeling really tired, as this can bring about a relapse. Other than that, just treat it as the nuisance it is.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you. Feel better soon!

|