Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Low Neutrophils and high Lymphocytes

chenjacq - Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:26 am

Dear doctor,

For the last four years, I have had low Neurophils (below 45%) and high Lymphocytes (above 42%). My doctor said it may be the temporarily thing. But this time again (blood drawn on 9/8/08), low Neurophils (below 42.7) and high Lymphocytes (above 44.7). My WBC (4.0) and RBC (4.59) counts are normal. Though I don't feel sick, I'm worried and don't what the abnormal counts mean. Is my body telling me something? Could you explain it to me?

Thanks in advance!

Jackie
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:27 pm

Normal values for while blood cell and its elements in adult are:

White blood cells :4,500-10,000 /mcl.
Neutrophils: 40% to 60%
Lymphocytes: 20% to 40%
Monocytes: 2% to 8%
Eosinophils: 1% to 4%
Basophils: 0.5% to 1%
Band: 0% to 3%

So, your total count and the neutophil count are within the normal range. You have mild lymphocytosis which can be seen in many conditions of chronic disease like arthritis and in infections.

Some medications may also cause lymphocytosis and Prempro (as well as other estrogen plus progestin therapy) is one of them although rarely reported to do so.

In adults, absolute lymphocytosis is defined as an absolute lymphocyte count is greater than 4000/mcl, so by definition your condition is not alarming as your doctor told you.

Follow up with your doctor is essential to exclude blood diseases. I hope you are also aware by the benefits and the risks of long term hormone replacement therapies. Try to always discus with your doctor your best treatment alternatives and your best breast cancer screening program.

Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.

|