News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Spreading Herpes

bttflyfwr - Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:44 am

Do I have to worry about spreading herpes (genital and oral) to my family (including an infant) through things such as using the same toliet, bathtub, or washing my underwear and towels with their clothes? Should I clean the toliet and bathtub after every time I use them, and if so, what cleaning products should I use? I am also concered about how well to clean my hands so I don't spread the virus unknowingly. Thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:25 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Herpes is transmitted either by direct physical contact with a lesion or bodily fluids, or sometimes via skin-to-skin contact. It is a fragile virus outside the body, so while routine environmental hygeine is (always) wise, it is probably near-impossible to contract herpes type I or II via any environmental surface unless fresh exudate somehow finds its way onto a surface which is then contacted directly by another, a scenario which is almost impossible.

In short, no. there is no need for special enviornmental cleanup following use of ordinary household facilities. You're to be commended, however, for your vigilance. Direct contact is the area which must be most closely monitored. Hand washing can be as per usual, but should be done anyway, so just continue that good habit as always. Other than that, just stay aware of active lesions and try to avoid contact with the affected area during those times.

Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here