Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: bumps by my rectum

bigdogchop72 - Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:44 pm

I have bumps by my rectum, towards my sack. They are white. They are not painful, but ever so often they itch. I have had these for around 5 months and they have not gone away. Do you know what they could be? I am a straight male.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:50 am

It is difficult to tell what these bumps could be without direct clinical examination.
However, these bumps could be due to dermatitis. Dermatitis is referred to different types of skin rashes or bumps that are caused by infections, allergies, and irritants. The severity of the rash ranges from mild to severe according to the cause. There might be itching on many cases.

Contact dermatitis occurs due to skin contact with a substance that causes an allergic reaction (allergic contact dermatitis) or with an irritant substances (irritant contact dermatitis). There are many causes for contact dermatitis some involve irritants such as soaps, certain creams and some may be due to allergy.

Avoiding the causing substance is the mainstay of prevention in addition to medications prescribed by your doctor. Secondary bacterial infection in the damaged skin from scratching is easy in this area due to contact with stool, so avoid scratching and keep it clean.

Another likely cause is Inflammation of the Hair follicles or the sebaceous (sweat) glands. They may be visible as small yellow/black or red nodules or might only be felt as small lumps in the skin. They may contain pus in them.

- Friction and fungus can be the causes of these symptoms although itching is a common symptom. Skin rubbing against skin generates heat and sweat; they in turn lead to redness and painful itchy patches. Obese and active people are more susceptible. Fungus infection predominates in the summer.

Treatment is based on the underlying the cause. Keeping the skin dry and clean is very important. If secondary bacterial infection occurs local antibiotic ointment will be needed.

Direct clinical examination is essential. So, I advise you to follow up with your doctor, he will prescribe the appropriate therapy based on the examination results.
Please keep us updated.

|