Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Vaginal Herpies?

DivineRapture - Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:09 am

Okay so I have these sores on the top of my vagina and a little under the lips but mostly above the clitoris. They hurt a lot and look like they are trying to scab up but its too moist down there for the scabs to form. There is one big one in the middle and many little red sores branching out. I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. I have had a major sore down there before a couple of years ago.

I know I'm pretty prone to yeast infections on the inside, i've had them before, but i've researched vaginal yeast infections online and nothing i've read has said anything about sores forming.

These sores are very painful, to touch and also when anything rubs against them. I don't even want to have sex with my husband right now it hurts too much. They literally came over night. I was at a friends house and slept on the couch in a shirt and my underwear and the next morning i felt down there and there was a big sore. I thought maybe it was a pimple or ingrown hair but when i pinched it nothing happened and i just got jolts of pain from it. I showed my husband and he can't even figure out what it is. I do know that my friend, who's house I stayed the night at, had bed bugs and was trying hard to get rid of them, but if it was those i thought that they don't go under clothing or even bite in area's like that, and wouldn't i have them in other places besides just that spot down there???!!!

I don't see how it could possibly be herpies or any type of STD because my husband has been tested and never diagnosed with it, and i have never seen this type of outbreak on him. and he has been MY one and only sex partner.

I have noticed that my mom constantly gets cold soars on her lips, but i asked her if she's been tested for herpies and she said she had been and never was diagnosed. So I have no idea if I could have been born with it possibly from my mom, because i've read that constant cold sores are a type of herpies or something I guess.

I really don't know, any advice as to what this could be would be appreciated. I'm waiting for my medicaid to come through so i can finally go to the doctor while i have the outbreak, but by the time that happens the sores may be gone. I'm just at a loss. It freaks me out to think that it could be Herpies... i've only slept with my husband and ONLY him, how the hell could i get Herpies if i've only been with ONE partner and he's been tested after each woman he's been with (which is only like 4 women) and not diagnosed or had any type of symptoms of it what so ever.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:57 pm

Herpes does present like that and it can be transmitted from a cold sore in intimate situations. If your husband had a cold sore and then you had oral sex, it is possible to get Herpes Type I in the genital region.

It is highly unlikely to be related to your birth this many years later and cold sores on the lips do not necessarily mean a person has genital herpes.

The only way to diagnose this would be to see a doctor, preferably during the outbreak when the lesions are present. From here we can only speculate. Transmission routes will depend on which type it is (if it is indeed herpes virus that is causing this). You may have a communicable disease community health clinic where you could be checked for STI for a nominal fee if you are anxious.

It does not sound like bed bugs to me. But, you do want to find out what would be the right treatment so seeing a health care provider will be good. If you don't get in until you get the Medicaid, chances are there will be another outbreak if it is Herpes. If it goes away and doesn't come back it still would be wise th have a general exam with pelvic and pap smear so it will give you a chance to discuss this at least.

beachgirl - Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:56 pm

In the last couple of months I have noticed bumps forming on the top of my vagina on either side of my clitoris, inside the outer labia. Only 1 bump a month, a couple of days before my period is about to start. Sometimes the bumps look like little pimples and when they are irritated blood comes out, and then they pretty much go away. Sometimes they are itchy as well. I am scared that this is herpes, Is a pap screen good enough to detect herpes if that is what it is?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:56 pm

Ideally you would see a doctor at the time a lesion is present for an accurate diagnosis. While getting a pap smear would allow the doctor to do a visual inspection, the purpose of the pap smear is to check for abnormal cells on the cevrix so that alone would not rule out herpes. I would encourage you to see your doctor. Blood tests can also determine if you have antibodies to the herpes virus. There are treatments to help control this disease if indeed this is what you have. It could also be another problems such as infected follicles, but only a doctor can say for certain on this. Meanwhile, please use condoms for sexual activity to avoid these infections.

|