Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: How to stop HPV to break out during Preganancy?

mynh - Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:53 am

Dear Doc,
I am 30 yr old female,married.i have contacted HPV in 2006 (not thru my married partner), its been 2 yrs after i got the warts removed thru Laser. it hasnt recurred since.now i am planning to get preganant..i have read that warts may recur during pregnancy. is there anything i can do to control the recurrance? diet, excercise anything..pls help.

i am from very orthodox family..no one knows i have hpv..in case during preganancy the warts recur and doctor chooses to do C section..will it be communicated to my spouse and family that i have HPV? can i confide in doctor not to tell my spouse and family and keep it a secret?

i am in ireland,does the law here for doctors to keep things confidential if patient requests and wont tell even spouse?

pls advice.especially gide me from HPV from recurring.

thanks a mill
nh
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:41 pm

It is very important, that the obstetrician know if a pregnant woman has HPV.

For pregnant women proper assessment with local examination, Pap smear, and close monitoring for any changes during pregnancy. Changes in the vulva and the cervix from rapid cell division may occur during pregnancy and should be managed properly during pregnancy and after child birth.

Regarding the pregnancy, it is usually safe with no miscarriages, premature delivery or congenital anomalies from virus transmission to the baby.

However, during child birth transmission of infection to the baby may occur and throat infection may occur resulting in serious condition. Being not common, obstetrician does not usually consider cesarean section as an option to avoid infection transmission.

I would advise you to inform your doctor and to discuss with him your concerns for better management and avoiding putting your self in a more complicated situation.

Hope you find this information useful.

|