Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: redness on glans...frequent urination feeling

miaman - Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:38 pm

a couple of days ago i noticed redness around the base of the glans by the ridge. I dismissed it as nothing too serious until today when i noticed that below the glans, on the shaft is also red. i am uncircumsized so everything looks fine with the foreskin over. once i pull the foreskin back you can clearly see reddening of the glans and upper shaft.

accompanied with this is a frequent urge to urinate. i've had this feeling for the better part of the day. the feeling to urinate is slight and constant. everytime i do go to the bathroom i have a relatively normal amount of urine, i guess. the urine comes out fine, no discoloration, no burning sensation, no pain.

last time i had sex was a week ago and i used a condom. i've had unprotected sex in the past and haven't been tested. i plan on getting tested within the week. i'm just getting nervous and would like to have some idea of what is going on

thank you

p.s. i have a bump on my epididymis that is a calcium deposit. i've had it checked twice and my urologist said it's not cancerous. i don't know if that has anything to do with it but just letting you know
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:40 pm

This is very suggestive of genitourinary tract infection (urethritis or cystitis). Urethritis is mostly due to infection with bacteria that ascend through the urethral meatus (through intercourse or local contamination).

Sexually transmitted disease diseases should be tested and excluded.

Stones also give similar clinical picture and should be looked for.

Urine analysis and urine culture are essential for the diagnosis. Your physician may also recommend US of the bladder and kidneys.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor. Thorough history and clinical examination are mandatory for proper management.

Please keep us updated.

|