News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: repetitive threadworm for 6 years

christinasheppard - Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:28 pm

i first got threadworm when i was 13 and took the treatment given by doctors.
since then i have had threadworm over 20 times in the course of 6 years. it has varied from twice in a couple of months to no threadworms for a year almost, they just come and go as they please! i now just go along to the chemist whenever they come and use pripsen rather than going back and forth to the doctors! i am very clean and hygenic and wash my hands regularly so thats not a reason for them. am i going to get them for the rest of my life!? please help me understand why they keep coming back and what can be done?!!! they are driving me crazy!! thankyou so much
strawberry18...
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:56 pm

User avatar Hello,
Threadworm eggs are transmitted through the oral cavity via hands, clothing, and dust in the house. The worms hatch and grow in the colon. At night, they migrate to the anal area to lay their eggs.
A tell tale sign of infection is anal itching at night.
Treatment includes mebendazole 100mg, hand washing, and cleaning all clothing and household surfaces. Treating all family members is important too.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here