Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: smelly groin and pityriasis

FISHSTONE - Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:10 am

Hi, I have a very smelly groin that I can smell through my clothing and as you can imagine it's quite disconcerting. I starting washing less and the red lines have practically gone and it smells a little less but it still stinks quite a lot and very small white particles keep coming off.

I also have pityriasis all over my torso and on the front of my groin for which I have been told there is no treatment!

Does anybody know of any treatments for the above and the cause and name for the groin fungi?

Thank You.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:45 pm

Tinea cruris (aka jock itch) is caused by a dermatophyte (a parasitic fungus) infection in the groin area. Symptoms include red rash and itching. The rash can become raised and coalesced and quite irritating. Fungi thrive in moist wet environments.
So treatment includes keeping the area dry and treating with an antifungal cream like clotrimazole for 2 weeks.

If no resolution in 2 weeks, see your family physician for further evaluation.

All the best to you. Keep us posted.
 blowin - Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:04 pm

I do not know what pityriasis is but I have a smell in my groin My groin feels raw and very wet with a thick like white substance. I do bathe frequently this is not all the time but every now and then it happens. I read on the site that clotrimazole should be used for two weeks. Can you buy this without prescription I am female
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:10 am

User avatar Hello,clotrimazole creme is available as a non prescription product in most countries.It is best applied for minimum 2 weeks.Best wishes.

|